Thursday, May 04, 2006

Glendalough - Heaven

Upper Lake at Glendalough (not me, a picture I scammed, no access for camera)

The Opera in Dublin was wonderful. The theatre was gorgeous, the voices strong and the staging very imaginative. Would see it again in a heartbeat.

Walked out of Dublin on Monday morning, first great view back of the city was a real treat. Made it to a funky hostel in Knockree and put in 24 kms for the day. Of course, I had to walk into the little town to get my 'pint'. A mere 6 kms (each way!). As Anne from Galway tells me, to enjoy Ireland, you can't be a tourist, you just have to 'be'. After 80+ kms of walking, I'm still a tourist, but a slow one..

The hiking is grand, the views (in the spots of sunshine) are exactly what I was looking for. The hostels are funky and full, banks non-existent since Dublin, the pubs are everywhere. I've had a few pints from locals and have spent a lot of time talking to locals or fellow hikers and travellers. Very cool way to spend the day.

Stayed in a very nice, cheap B&B in Roundwood (no hostel for 10+ kms on either side). Got into a mild discussion about Belfast with Tom Collins from the Ulster area (won't do that again...)

I'm here in Glendalough and have really enjoyed the entire day. Walk, eat, chat, sleep. Life is simple, life is good.

Today, I'm stepping off the trail to get a bus to Waterford, spend a day, then on to Ring of Kerry for more walking.

Cheers! Bruce

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to read your report. Sounds wonderful.

Mark B. is in Cuba for a week, Wayne picked up an injury at the Greenwood 10K (trying to pretend he's not damn near 60), you are away..........do you think I'm really going to do a 10-miler by myself this Saturday?

Breakfast at the North End Diner: Yes
10-Miler: No

Down with Guinness (literally)
jcb

Bruce Duffy said...

Hola Brucie:
-Sounds like things(walks and stuff) are flowing as planned. From practice, you will have the boys buying you breakfast every Saturday morning when you return.
-Too bad about the pics(camera)I find if you don't have access to getting CD made, pics are very difficult to get up loaded.
Adios for now.
Gringo Bruce

Anonymous said...

Post Script:
-Sounds like this Tom Collins is a guy I should meet--Ha, ha, ha!
B2

Anonymous said...

this is definitely better than postcards...

don't forget my pebble

ray

Anonymous said...

the following irishidium is just in case language skill sets are not hereditary.....remember to roll your r's and mumble a bit. you'll do fine


ARTERY >The Study of Paintings
BACTERIA >Back Door of a Cafeteria
BARIUM >What Doctors Do When Patients Die
BOWEL >A,E,I,0 or U
CAESARIAN SECTION >A Neighbourhood in Rome
CAUTERISE >Made Eye-Contact With Her
DILATE >To Live Longer
ENEMA >Not A Friend
FIBULA >A Small Lie
HANGNAIL >Coat Hook
LABOUR PAIN >Getting Hurt At Work
NITRATES >Cheaper Than Day Rates
NODE >Was Aware Of
OUTPATIENT >A Person Who Has Fainted
PAP SMEAR >A Fatherhood Test
RECTUM >Bloody Near Killed Them
SEIZURE >Roman Emperor
TABLET >A Small Table
TERMINAL ILLNESS >airsick
VARICOSE >Nearby

(sheesh...my spell checker broke!)

ray

Anonymous said...

Just wondering..........did Tom Collins from Ulster buy you a Guinness?

jcb

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are earning your drink...or are you really in Dartmouth faking the whole trip??

Sue/Robert said...

Keep on truckin' and enjoy your trip. I'm off to China next week and |Robert is full of spunk and vinegar!